March 25, 2012
The trio of Charlie Jones, Gonzales Austin, and Jeff Offerdahl picked up victories in a close 4-3 loss to the No. 19 Auburn Tigers on Sunday afternoon.
The Dores lost the doubles point to fall behind early. Jones and Austin dropped their match to Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies 8-2, but Blake Bazarnik and Offerdahl evened the score with an 8-6 win on court three. Daniel Cochrane and Lukas Ollert proved too much for Alex DiValerio and Joe Dorn as they clinched the point for the Tigers for the 1-0 lead heading into singles.
The Tigers roared out to a 3-0 lead as Auburn beat Dorn and Anton Kovrigin in straight sets. Offerdahl, who has had an exceptional dual season so far, put the Commodores on the board with his 6-3, 6-3 defeat over No. 100 Lukas Ollert.
Austin brought the Dores back to 3-2 as he beat Stamchev, but the Tigers clinched the match before they could even the score as Cochrane defeated Bazarnik in 7-5, 7-5 sets.
Jones, the No. 47 player ranked by the ITA, defeated Mies 7-5, 7-5 to round the scoring out for the Commodores.
Vanderbilt travels to Tennessee next Friday and perennial tennis powerhouse Georgia on Sunday as SEC play continues.
1. Charlie Jones (Vanderbilt) def. Andreas Mies (Auburn) 7-5, 7-5
2. Gonzales Austin (Vanderbilt) def. Alex Stamchev (Auburn) 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniel Cochrane (Auburn) def. Blake Bazarnik (Vanderbilt) 7-5, 7-5
4. Jeff Offerdahl (Vanderbilt) def. Lukas Ollert (Auburn) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lucas Lopasso (Auburn) def. Anton Kovrigin (Vanderbilt) 6-4, 6-2
6. Michael Wardell (Auburn) def. Joe Dorn (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 6-3
1. Stamchev-Mies (Auburn) def. Jones-Austin (Vanderbilt) 8-2
2. Cochrane-Ollert (Auburn) def. DiValerio-Dorn (Vanderbilt) 8-5
3. Bazarnik-Offerdahl (Vanderbilt) def. Lopasso-Rondino (Auburn) 8-6
#41 Vanderbilt, 7-9 (2-4)
#19 Auburn, 14-5 (3-3)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2), Singles (6,5,4,2,3,1)